Thursday 11 May 2017

A mother’s treasures

When we were growing up, we children would have ‘spontaneous Mother’s Day’s’. Widowed when she was very young with four school-going children to bring up on her own, mom had to no choice but to work, every day from 8 – 5, including Saturday mornings.

During the school holidays when inspiration struck, we would put whatever money we had together and do something special for Mom. I remember we could afford a frozen chicken once, but it took so long to thaw that is was under-cooked when Mom, with great ceremony, began to carve it that evening. 

Another time we presented Mom with a great ‘feast’, but she came home from work really ill, and couldn’t face looking at food. She felt so bad. 

I made a chocolate cake once and, not having a cake-tin, hid it in the linen cupboard. The next day it was so full of ants, it looked like the cake had been decorated with moving chocolate sprinkles!

When my children were growing up, I remember ploughing my way through a HUGE bowl of all-bran flakes with far too much sugar and way too little milk with four sets of eager eyes watching me munch every mouthful. The children also liked to buy me strips of liquorice for Mother’s Day, but couldn’t resist taking a generous bite off each end first.

Going through my box of ‘treasures’ – cards, letters, apologies and thank you notes from my children, one that I treasure is with each verse written by one of the children, starting with the youngest scrawled with an immature hand to the eldest.

“I hope that soon
We’ll give to you
The strength you gave
Through which we grew.

I wish one day
We’ll learn to gain
From lessons learnt
And life’s little pains.

I pray that now
We’ve all become
The people you hoped for
From what you have done.

And from the gift of life you gave
May us kids give you happiness today!


HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!”