What is parenthood?
- “Parenthood is a very important period for consolidating identity and for expanding maturity” – Jean MacFarlane
- “Parenthood brings out the better side of people” – the Foundation for Child Development
- “If it was going to be easy to raise kids, it never would have started with something called labour” – Scott M Peck
- “The amount of richness that children can bring into the lives of their parents is indescribable” – John Clever
- “The most forceful motivation of active fatherhood has been the voice of feminism” – Robert Coleman
- “Good parenting is not done by formula” – Jerome Kagen
- “Surrendering to motherhood means surrendering to interruption” – Erica Jong
- “A mother’s interaction with her children – enveloping, secure, modulated and controlled. More cooing and playing verbal games. Father is playful, exciting, physical” – Vance Packard
- “We had a mother to answer to. We loved her profoundly, and our driving force was to do what she wanted because we knew how much it meant to her” – James Cogney
- “Fathers who are more available to their children than average, who are nurturers, accepting and serve as active teachers, tend to have children who excel in school” – Vance Packard
Artwork by Colette Edmonds: from my handbook "Childbirth Education is Fun!"
“Remember that through your parents you were born
And what can you give back to them that equals their gift to you?”