Thursday 10 May 2018

Remembering Mom on Mother's Day



Motherless Moms remembering our mothers on Mother’s Day

For their sixth wedding anniversary Dad bought Mom and brand-new Bernard Stein piano. Back then it was trendy to have a sing-song around the piano, and Dad enjoyed singing. Mom and Dad went into town one Saturday morning and bought some sheet music of popular songs of the day. One of these was called MOTHER.
Remembering the chorus this Mother’s Day, I pay tribute to our dearest Mom – ‘sweet Evelyn’.
M – ‘Is for the million things you gave me’. When you were widowed so young Mom, you couldn’t afford to give us a million things – but what we lacked in material goodies, you made up with love!
O – ‘Means that you’re growing old’. How difficult it was watching you grow old and so forgetful.
“Who is this good-looking young man” you asked me one day.
“This is John Mom. My husband”
“You’re married?”
“Yes, for some time now”
 “And you never told me!”
T – ‘Is for the tears you shed to save me.’ This I could never understand as a child. I imagined my mother holding a little bottle under her eyes to catch her tears for me. I thought - what for?
H – ‘Is for her heart of purest gold.’ That it surely was – and warm too
E – ‘Is for her eyes with love-light shining’ but I remember those eyes aiming daggers at me from the other side of the room when I was doing something wrong!
R – ‘Means right, and right she’ll always be’ – I still count on Mom’s wisdom and pray for her guidance.
‘Put them all together, they spell MOTHER. The word that (still) means the world to me’.

We thought of you with love today, but that is nothing new
We thought about you yesterday and days before that too.
We think of you in silence, we often speak your name
All we have now are memories and your picture in a frame.
Your memory is our keepsake with whom we will never part
God has you in His keeping, we have you in our hearts!