Thursday 14 May 2020

For you if the blues are setting in



Cabin Fever Cure

The novelty of lockdown is wearing me down and I’ve begun to side-line all those good intentions I had at the start of ‘self-isolation’. I understand that, with Lupus, I have to be particularly cautious, but it’s time to pick myself up and get started again. I’m getting a severe case of ‘cabin fever’, and I know that the longer I wait, the harder it’s going to be when I have to get back into some sort of rhythm. If for you, the kids are mooching around, they’re losing valuable school time. We’re only human after all. The less we do, the less we want to do. The secret is to make a start. Once we get started, it gets easier.

I take my hat off to the stalwarts out there. The cheerful radio DJs. Friends who send me daily spiritual readings, poems, and messages of encouragement. The nurses and doctors who face COVID-19 head-on. Shop assistants, service providers, cashiers, farmers, and front-line workers who are doing their best to keep the wheels of society turning.

The gardens in our retirement village are beginning to look a bit neglected. I was impressed yesterday to see a few residents with brooms and rakes making a start to clean things up a bit.

The example of those who put their good intentions into action are the heroes of our everyday. They give us hope and courage.

My course of action for today:

  • Make a realistic, achievable to-do list
  • Discipline myself to work through this list, item by item
  • Enjoy what I am doing, while I am doing it
  • Appreciate everything – hot tea, a sandwich, warm sunshine, friendship, music
  • Be thankful for what I’ve got and not hanker after the way life used to be, because I don’t think it will ever be the same again
  • Learn to pave a new way forward and be responsible for doing this – for me, for my family and for others.

From a friend, Anthea Pretorius, these words of encouragement:
  • Focus on the things you have power over
  • A positive and receptive attitude is crucial
  • An open and giving heart is too
  • Simplify things
  • Open your hands
  • Let go of what is obsolete
  • Enjoy the journey with gratitude.
Picture: Gallery Yopriceville