Tuesday 30 June 2020

The high's and low's of working from home


How to become a hooker

I woke up one morning with an overwhelming longing for people – real people: not zoom or skype, webinar, WhatsApp or emails, Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. I’m tired of the radio and TV. They don’t make up for spontaneous smiles, belly-laughs, children’s squeals and body language like arm-folds, frowns, chin-jerks, and ‘what-Eva's’.

I’m frustrated with working from home. I miss people – even meetings. That’s how serious this is! My shaggy hair was shapeless. My bed beckoned every time I walked into the room. Last week’s dishes were waiting for me in the sink and it took me oh! so l-o-n-g to do anything. As SuzelleDIY says: ‘One day you feel fine, the next day you feel depressed, then you feel happy again and then you feel like you’ve got Coronavirus’.

I am a morning person, but when Covid-19 came to stay, I started waking up in the mornings with a heavy heart, dread in my step, my intestines tied in a knot and feeling distinctly nauseous. I wanted to stay in bed. But this didn’t make the monster COVID go away – in fact, the shadow of doom and gloom grew like a humongous hurricane hovering on the horizon, and it was coming to get me.

So, like Max, in Maurice Sendak’s children’s book, 'Where the Wild Things Are', I had to command the monster of sloth to ‘Be Still!’ and tame it with my magic trick – by staring into its yellow eyes. Or should I say: face my fears. 

It was time for a shake-up and a make-over. It was time to stop feeling sorry for myself. So, I washed and cut my hair – I don’t know if that was a good idea, but anyway, now I can see through my fringe.

Then I thought about what I really enjoy doing. Something relaxing and inspirational. Something quiet (so I don’t disturb my man) yet joyful. Something creative and long-term – well, to last through COVID-19 anyway.

I’ve heard that it helps to learn something new – so I learned Tunisian crocheting – and I was hooked. Now, when I get up, I pick up my Tunisian needle and start to crochet. Slowly, slowly I get hooked into the rhythm crocheting and my mood of doom and gloom slowly lifts, and I feel more positive about starting the day. When people ask me which hat I’m wearing, I tell them my hooker hat!

How can this help you? Try these:

  • Set goals – with a time-line:
  • Find a mentor or muse:
  • Reward yourself - have something to look forward to:
  • Eat regular, healthy meals:
  • Meet one person (mask, social distancing etc.) in person every day and talk about things other than Covid-19:
  • Keep-up with your work responsibilities:
  • Have a hobby:
  • If you’re home-schooling children, see to their needs first – and have regular breaks together:
  • When all else fails, go for a walk, eat a bar of chocolate, phone a friend:

Finally. Pray for wisdom, strength, courage and endurance.

Picture: free clipartix.com