Saturday 27 March 2021

Nurture your hobbies during Covid


 

Hidden treasures

It’s true. We all work better under pressure. As my non-profit writing list grows longer, and my list of briefs (list? What list?) grows shorter, the motivation for research wanes.

What will we be like in the post-covid world that, those in the know, say we have another five years to endure? I remember learning about communicable diseases in my nursing training, the plagues, and outbreaks, the epidemics but it was so ho hum. That was THEN. But this is NOW.

Luckily, I did not throw the baby out with the bathwater when we downsized. It was difficult knowing what to keep, and what to give away. I held on to a few items that have sustained me this last year – and hopefully in the next five years to come.

These are:

A tiny blue and white sewing basket given to me by my Ouma when I was five. In it, I remember there was an embroidery cloth and some thread. I made a hash of the cloth, but somehow the little sewing basket stayed with me all these years. Today it holds the essentials – thimble, embroidery scissors, tape measure, pins, sewing needles, crochet hooks – all the bric-a-brac needed by crafters.

My calligraphy and scrapbooking box of goodies. How pleased I am that I did not turf these out when I thought ‘When will I do calligraphy again?’

A golden tin of postcards. I started collecting postcards in the mid 60’s. In my childish handwriting I started categorising them ‘Burgie’s Postcard Collection No 1’ etc. In my teenage years this seemed to be a lame thing to do. I did not have time for post-cards when I was nursing or bringing up my family. Some of the postcards are dated from the Second World War. I am pleased I did not give this tin to charity.

Then there was an eclipse carbon copy book of letters my Ouma wrote mostly to family when she enjoyed a couple of luxury cruises just after the war.  Reading them, I am getting to know the grandmother I only knew when she was old and ill – irritable, frustrated and short-tempered. I forgive her now that I understand living with Parkinson’s and having a mastectomy in the sixties wasn’t exactly fun.

Over the years, people gave me music books that I couldn’t really use because we had an organ, not a piano, at home. Now that I have access to the community piano, I have a good supply of music to learn from.

I also kept some of my favourite recipe books. One is on bread making. Now that yeast is readily available in supermarkets, I am learning about this art. Breadmaking takes time and patience. Your dough has to be just right, adding enough flour to make it soft and pliable, not too much to make it heavy, not too little that it’s sticky. Out of the draft, in a warm spot, you wait for the yeast to do its magic while you watch the dough bubble and rise. Then it’s kneading again, shaping and leaving to prove. When the oven is piping hot, the final baking begins, the final rising, browning and crisping of the crust. Fresh and piping hot from the oven … pure heaven on earth.

Is there something you’ve always wanted to do? Now’s the time. What are you waiting for?