Saturday 5 October 2019

When you're afraid of giving birth ...




Getting ready for labour

We’ve grown so used to electrical devices; wouldn’t it be nice if they could do the work of having babies for us? What about having a c-section you may ask? Surely, it’s an easier option than natural birth?

Having had two natural births and two emergency c-sections, I can honestly say that having a natural birth was (I wouldn’t say easier) but there were fewer implications, and I recovered a lot quicker. 

OK. I had a few advantages. I was younger than 30, healthy, active, the right weight for my height, a non-smoker and I exercised in my third trimester. I was also a qualified midwife and read everything I could lay my hands on, so I had an idea of what to expect. I also realised the importance of being prepared, staying active for as long as possible in early labour, and being in control of my contractions (not them in control of me).

There’s more to having a baby than we realise. Babies help to fulfil our role as women. They make us mothers. Labour and birth help to build self-confidence (yes, I can do this) and babies give women a sense of purpose – nurturing and loving unconditionally.

As your birth date edges closer, it’s perfectly normal to worry about labour and birth. Unchartered territory, breaking your way into the unknown when it’s your first baby, can be frightening. Google can be your worst enemy when other women tell you horrific stories and you’re tempted to research these to make sure they don’t happen to you. Your doctor may seem abrupt when you ask questions – and answers in medical jargon will just make you more confused.

I am going to write four blogs on how to take ownership of your body and your baby in preparation for the birth. This first in the series will deal with the physical preparation. The others will cover emotional preparation (making friends with your hormones), spiritual preparation (connecting with your baby) and finally, something for dad.

Physical preparation.

You wouldn’t think of running a marathon without the right shoes, or proper preparation, right? Giving birth is going to be your marathon. If you’re attending birth preparation classes, make sure they include an exercise programme and not just parenting talks. If you’re going to a gym, ask your instructor about pregnancy exercises. Alternatively, you can ask a physiotherapist to recommend an exercise programme, or you can google you-tube exercises like https://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/fitness/pregnancy-fitness-intense-work-outs/ - but, please check with your doctor first.

As your baby grows, and your belly gets heavier, your back may ache, your tummy muscles stretch and hurt and your pelvic bones feel uncomfortable. Wear comfortable clothes and flat shoes, sit up straight when you’re working at your desk and do exercises like squatting, yoga stretches on all fours, walking and swimming (when this is possible).

Set aside a time each day to do your exercises. Play your favourite music, light candles if you like, don’t rush, and enjoy doing them. The book I would recommend reading is ‘New Life – a book of exercises for pregnancy and childbirth’ by Janet and Arthur Balaskas. You can download more information about this book (and others written by Janet) on https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Janet-Balaskas-New-Life/dp/0283985089

To find out more about childbirth education classes, midwives, doula’s and breastfeeding consultants in your area (South Africa), go to the Expectant Mother’s Guide: https://www.babytalk.co.za/activities/expectant-mothers-guide/ to order your copy.