Friday 21 February 2020

Give your children the freedom to fly!



Teach your kids to be tough
When I pass from this world to the next, one thing I would like my kids to say about me is: “Mom taught us to be tough.” Teaching my kids to stand up for themselves as one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I wanted to wrap my babies in cotton wool and look after them forever. I wanted to be with them on every bus ride, every school outing, and every birthday party. I wanted to make sure they were not bullied, that their teachers were fair, and they stayed out of the principal’s office.

A tall order when there were five!

Oh, those sleepless nights when they were teenagers! How I wanted to be a fly on the wall or to buzz like a bee around their heads everywhere they went. But they each stood precariously on the edge of the nest and I urged them to fly away and make a life for themselves. Off they flew, one by one – New York, London, Cape Town, Germany, Amsterdam – and I prayed that they were tough enough to survive the storms that lay ahead, of which I have no control.

Of course, you want to walk your pre-schooler to the classroom, but you have to stop doing this when they go to ‘big’ school. When they get to double-digits, they want to explore and be seen by their friends without parental entourage! Tweens need to have adventures on their own to build-up confidence, risk falling, getting lost and even finding themselves in trouble with the grumpy old man at the end of the street for climbing over his fence and stealing pomegranates from his tree. Children need to learn to trust their instincts – how can they do this if you’re always there telling them to be careful, to look out, and saying ‘don’t’. Their conscious needs to tell them these things when they’re teenagers – because that’s when the BIG test comes – for you and for them!

Some children need a gentle push, others need a rope to haul them back in. Siblings balance one another – where one is cautious the other throws caution to the wind.  Parents need to know when to intervene and when to stay out of it. The best advice I can give is to communicate with your children. Body language is their biggest give-away. Trust your instincts. When they tell you something is wrong, it usually is. This is a built-in parenting instinct we all have – thanks to our parents who taught us to be tough.

On second thoughts, I would like my children to say: “Mom was tough on us, but she loved us with all her heart.”