Wednesday 4 August 2021

Symptoms of late pregnancy

 

Three weeks to go – In my little bubble

Hannah’s slowly coming to the end of her marathon. Her baby girl could start knocking to come into the world any day now. Here are the typical late pregnancy symptoms she’s experiencing:

False labour

Feeling like a lazy cat on the couch – with intermittent spurts of energy

Tight shoes – even though they’re a size bigger

Swollen ankles by the end of the day

Fingers that feel like a bunch of bananas

Porridge brain (type porridge brain into the subject block on the gadgets panel to learn more about this syndrome)

Symptoms nobody warned Hannah about:

Having to depend on her partner for just about everything – from opening a jar to getting off the couch. I remind Hannah that this is not a sign of weakness, but rather admitting that there are times when we need help. Something women find difficult to do because we’re so fiercely independent. Partners often feel left out and want to know what they can do to help.

Hannah finds that she may be hearing her partner, but she’s not listening to him. When he asks a question, she has no idea what he’s talking about!

She feels like a sloth. If anything falls on the floor, Hannah couldn’t be bothered to pick it up when she doesn’t manage to do this with her toes!

Everything is an effort – even the things Hannah once enjoyed

All her good intentions (yoga, regular exercising, eating only healthy) have gone out the window while Hannah fantasises about the things she’s going to do when her pregnancy is over.

There’s a light at the end of the tunnel – and it’s not a train coming towards her:

Hannah is realistic and knows that this difficult stage of her pregnancy WILL PASS. She sympathises with overweight people who have to deal with a bulky body for life.

Hannah has a new appreciation for her mom and respects her for what she did for herself and her sisters. “I don’t know how she did it – being a single-mom,” Hannah told me. “I don’t know how I would have managed without my partner.”

“I am looking forward to the day when I can go back to work and pick up my career where I left off. Already we are making plans to move into a bigger space where my partner can work from home. I would prefer going to an office – but we will have to wait and see what 2022 brings.”

“I am learning to trust my instincts and listen to my body.”

“Knowing the date for my c-section means I don’t have to worry about when I will go into labour.”

“I know that I must enjoy living in my ‘perfect little bubble’ for now. I don’t think I will ever have this time again.”

Must do tips:

Have your finances in order

Share chores with your partner

Ask for help

Talk to your partner about how you feel about being intimate

Discuss parenting values.